• Maria Cordon

B-2 visa. #Pleasure, #Tourism, #Shopping.

Updated: May 21, 2018

There are two types of visas: immigrant and non-immigrant. Non-immigrant visas are obtained outside the United States, at a consulate or embassy. An applicant inside the U.S. with an unexpired I-94 can request a change or extension of status. The B-2 visa is among the most popular visas to enter the United States for the purpose of making a short visit and spending money. B-2 visa applicants must convince the consul, among other things, that he or she has sufficient resources to be able to afford the trip without working illegally in the United States and that he or she has enough ties outside the United States that he or she intends to depart before that his or her permission to be legally here expires. For example, a tourist visa can be granted for 10 years, but that does not mean that the visitor will be authorized by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to remain in the United States more than 6 months.

Proving that the applicant intends to come and visit and not to stay and that he or she

is not coming to work and make money is an art, not an exact science. It is only one of the obstacles in a long list. The adjudicator may believe that the person making the application intends to immigrate to the United States. Applicants who are single, under 21 who have citizen parents, an American spouse, or the parents of an American citizen over the age of 21, often cannot convince the consul they are only coming to the United States for a visit.

Other lesser known uses of the B-2 visa are that of a companion, like grandparents of people in another nonimmigrant classification such as TN or E, short, non-academic study, children who come to the US obtain American citizenship and then depart to live abroad, permanent residents living outside the United States, in certain circumstances.

9 views0 comments

Proudly created with Wix.com